Thursday, March 23, 2017

Measuring up?



Do you ever struggle with your self-worth?  Do you think you don't measure up?  Are you trying to measure yourself against something that doesn't make sense?  I love this photo of this tiny boy up against the giraffe.  The giraffe bending down to eat the offered banana.  Or perhaps lowering himself down to the level of the little one.  Do you ever do such things?  No, me neither.  WELL, I know that isn't true of me all the time.  Sometimes, I do this without even realizing that is what I'm doing.

I was reading this wonderful new book entitled I AM by Michele Cushatt.  Day 6 struck a chord with me on realization that perhaps I struggle with this in ways I didn't realize.  Let me ask you a few questions and see if you might struggle with this issue too.  Do you need to know you matter?  Do you run tirelessly trying to help people?  Do you try to make everybody happy?  Do you try to fix things? Do you see the struggle?

I realized that some of these issues might be me trying to have proof that I matter.  Proof that I make a difference and I didn't even realize that this might be what I was doing, but I felt the Lord speaking to me this morning on this topic strongly.  

Where do we look for our worth?  Our value?  Are we looking to others?  Are we looking at our own things we accomplish and think we are moving on up the ladder of self-worth?  

I was reminded that we don't have to prove anything to God much less anyone else and remember our value comes from above.  Jesus reminded us in Matthew 10:31 ~
So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.

Is this what we are afraid of?  We aren't worthy?  Well, we aren't and nothing we do makes this change.  God changes it.  Jesus changed it.  We are His!

Sweet blessings,
Debbie

P.S.  The book I mentioned is fabulous.  I wasn't ask to endorse it by anybody, but it is great!  Lots of real stuff that everybody is able to relate to.

No comments: