Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Light and Hope



Do you remember when you were small on summer nights when you would chase the little lightning bugs around and put them in mason jars?  I loved this summer tradition until it almost became extinct.  I never saw the lightning bugs or was I just not looking in the right spots?  The dark night suddenly not so dark any more because of the light of a small bug and the fun it brought into the darkness.

I am doing an advent study and part of the process is to journal your thoughts on different passages or to write about the passage.  On Monday this week the passage was from Isaiah 9:2 about people walking in darkness and the light.  Go read it for yourself and see what thoughts it brings to your mind about light and darkness.  Today from Isaiah 9:6 brought many things to mind for me about light and hope!

Isaiah 9:6
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given; and the government shall be upon his shoulder, and his name shall be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Today, the Lord brought to my mind all the wonderful things about Him that provide so much hope.  He is a wonderful Counselor, Mighty, Forever and Peace all of this and so much more.  The verse also showed me that this was written a long time before Jesus was born.  A very long time, but it is written truth.  I mean this is written with a strong belief that this was going to happen and  that provides so much hope!  Isaiah believed it long before it was true.  He knew it in his heart and he was sharing it with everyone else.

Do we act in a way that we believe God's Words to provide hope to others?  We are surrounded by darkness daily just like during the time Isaiah.  Lots of terrible things happening, so do we walk allowing God's light to shine providing hope along the way or perhaps not?  Do we really believe God's promises?  

God reminded me this morning to keep my eyes on Him allowing Him to shine through me!  We can't do this without Him.  We allow other things to take over, but HE always shines!

Reminders of lightning bugs and how they reappeared in my life, when I took the time to notice...A beautiful light on a dark night provided by the Only One that truly offers hope.

Sweet Advent Blessings,
Debbie

P.S. The book is Advent Illustrated by Sara Laughed.  I am enjoying the first few days and will continue to share throughout the journey of Advent.

No comments: