Monday, February 2, 2009

Fellowship with Believers





I read a story that I had to share with you! I read a story about a young man that joined a church and had not been in the church long. One day in Bible study he commented you know what I miss the most? I miss the bars. I miss talking with other men. The story went on to tell about the neighborhood bars being possibly the best counterfeit to fellowship in the church. It's an imitation, dispensing liquor instead of grace, escape rather than reality, but it's permissive, accepting, and inclusive fellowship. It is unshockable. It is democratic. You can tell people secrets and they usually don't tell others or even want to. The bar flourishes not because God has put into the human heart the desire to know and be known, to love and be loved, and so many seek a counterfiet at the price of a few beers. Charles Swindoll quoted this in Encourage me.

Is this not the saddest story? We aren't holding up our end of the community that God wants us to have with each other. The young man could find what he needed in the bar, but not in church? What does this say about our churches?

I want to be a friend and welcome people into church. Sometimes, we are caught up in visiting with our friends and be don't take the time to welcome and make new friends. I know that I fall into this trap..This story caught my attention and I want this to change!

Changing,
Debbie

No comments: