Friday, December 16, 2011

Do we all have itchy ears?


Are we like the big guy in the photo?  We close our ears to things we don't want to hear?  Do we only go to church where they make us feel good or where they tell us truth?  Do we only hang with people that feed our own egos and not God's Word?

It struck me this morning reading from 2 Timothy 4:3- 4 ~ For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and whole some teaching.  They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear.  They will reject the truth and chase their myths.
Is the above not true?  Truly search your heart and see if God isn't speaking to all of us about our whole life!

If kids don't like what their parents tell them, they rebel.  If you don't like what your boss says, you quit or make trouble.  If you don't like what your spouse says you look for someone else.  If you don't like what your friends tell you then you find new friends.  If you don't like what the church says, you don't go back.  If you don't like God's Word, you don't open it.  Oops...

I wish I could remember the statistic I read the other day about how few people are actually reading God's Word, it's terrible.  Google it for yourself, ask your friends, ask where you work - you will see people are only moving further and further away from God's Word and listening to only what makes us all feel better.  We all want a feel good religion, don't dare give me truth.  I can't handle truth, I want to feel better.  So what ,if it isn't the truth according to God's Word, if it makes me feel better that is all that matters...not true, but it's what most people want nowadays.

Give me truth.  Do I always want to hear it no, but moment to moment I need God's truth to get ME back where I need to be.  To get me back according to His Will and not my own!  I have a strong will and believe me I would rather it be my way and the words I like, but that is not what I need or desire in my heart - no only in my itching ears!

Today, ask for God's truth and not something that will just give you a momentary feel good moment that is fleeting.  It will not last.  Only God's truth last forever and ever and that is what I want!

Sweet blessings,
Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

2 Timothy has so many good things in it. Paul said in verse 9, "...but the word of God cannot be chained."

At a funeral that I attended yesterday the pastor said that we should live our lives in a manor that death is all we have left to finish here on earth. This mornings reading spoke to what I heard the pastor say. Paul said in 2 Timothy 4:6-8, "As for me, my life has already been poured out as an offering to God. The time of my death is near. I have fought the good fight I have finished the race and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me...."

I pray that I live my life as an offering to God and when I come to the end death is just the last step of the journey.