Friday, February 19, 2010

God shows up!


Leviticus 9:24

Fire blazed forth from the Lord's presence and consumed the burnt offering and the fat on the altar. When the people saw this, they shouted with joy and fell face down on the ground.

Fire alone is so powerful. It consumes so quickly.

Next week, will be two years since I watched fire consume my home. I will never forget how quickly the fire moved in the rooms I loved. It was powerful, it was dirty, it was so scary and this was not a fire that the Lord's presence was in…when I imagine the power of the LORD behind or in the fire it boggles my mind.

It had to have been all consuming and holy at the same time. It had to have a glory feeling to it because the people shouted with joy and fell to the ground to worship the LORD. The words above really got my attention because it made me go back to the fire in my home. Absolutely nothing about that fire gave a good feeling at the time it happened. These people worshipped immediately they felt God's presence ~ I worshipped later that day when God showed up in a letter in my driveway. I prayed Lord show me you are here and this letter answered my prayer exactly. I worshipped. I knew that God was with me! He is so powerful and shows up in such mighty ways.

Thank you Father for showing up!

Consumed by His Love,

Debbie

2 comments:

thedubberlychick said...

You are right. He does show up in mighty ways!

Nadab and Abihu's story really bothered me. My commentary said that they were clearly disobedient, and they knew it. But before I read my commentary, I couldn't help but to think that maybe the fire was starting to go out and they were trying to get it to stay lit. Or, maybe. Or, maybe.... I was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. That story reminded me of the story of Uzzah. He was the one who carried the Ark of the Covenant and it was about to fall and he wasn't suppose to touch it, but did and then died. (I think that's how the story goes.) I guess there is just some things we're not suppose to comprehend... Poor Aaron. He couldn't grieve.... Wow. Wow....

Frankie said...

Debbie,you probably have a perspective on fire that many of us don't have since your house was destroyed by fire. I love hearing the story of how God showed you He was with you that day.

I am feeling the dubberly chick's
sympathy for Aaron not being allowed to show grief for his sons. That seemed harsh to me also. I think that God helps us understand Him a little at a time. Don't think we could take it all in at once. Do you?

At the beginning of Leviticus 9, the title is "The Priests Begin Their Work." I was struck by the thought of Jesus, our High Priest, and the work He did on the cross. Jesus' work would bring eternal salvation to all who accept His work(death) on their behalf.