Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Trying to Grasp


John 19:30

When Jesus tasted it, he said, "It is finished!" Then he bowed his head and released his spirit.

The cry of victory is heard in the hour of defeat. Jesus knew his death meant redemption for us. The law was fulfilled, prophecy was accomplished, and God is reconciled to man. Awful yet glorious finish is what one commentary called it.

This act opened up the Kingdom of Heaven for all of us. Jesus was obedient unto his death for all of us.

The original word for finished was "teleo" which meant to bring to a close or to fulfill. The mention of he bowed his head is only found in John. John used the word "klinw" for bowed his head he wanted it very vivid for all of us to visualize. Jesus stated It is finished and he bowed his head and died. According to Luke the last words uttered from Jesus were from Psalms 31:5 "Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit".

The last few days have been so difficult to read. We move between Matthew, Luke, Mark and John and read the story over and over with a few detail changes, but it is hard reading. I have had such a difficult time with the reading the last few days and sometimes I think it is because we like to focus on what is coming next. After reading this time I don't ever want to skip over what Jesus did for us. I believe it is easy for us to focus on after the cross, but because of the cross We live!

I don't think we ever grasp truly what Jesus did for us. I know I don't and for this I beg forgiveness.

Trying to grasp,

Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Debbie, in his book, "The Relentless Tenderness of Jesus" Brennan Manning said to pray, "Holy Spirit, awaken my soul to Christ's deep love for me."

I want to "get it", "fathom it" - Christ's deep love for me. A love that would die for me - Holy Spirit
awaken my soul!