Thursday, May 20, 2010

Grasping the Word


1 Kings 3:12-13

I will give you what you asked for! I will give you a wise and understanding heart such as no one else has had or ever will have! And I will also give you what you did not ask for – riches and fame!


 

Many times in my prayers I feel like God is in a big room with soooo many requests, soooo many demands, soooo many I promise this - that I don't request. I realized a few years back that God is so much bigger than I can comprehend that I needed to take me out of my prayer life. I needed to talk to God about everything. I needed to talk to Him about my dreams, my concerns, my thoughts, my everyday life just like I do everybody else that I love. Did you catch that? Talk to Him just like everybody else that you talk to…He wants a relationship, so we have to talk …we have to whisper, we have to share…we have to ask…

Don't you ask things of your family? Friends? People you work with? Then, why would we not ask God? After all, out of the list of people you talk to and request things of isn't God truly the one that can give you what you need and desire?

Today, I was reminded of the scene from God Almighty with the yellow post-it-notes all over the room of people's prayers. The only difference is that God can handle all of those sticky notes and so many more!

Solomon requested wisdom and understanding, which is amazing that he was wise in his request and then God went overboard and gave him more. God is so gracious and we have a tendency to try to put Him in our little boxes, because that is all that we can handle…HE CAN HANDLE ANYTHING and it is time we try to grasp that fact!


 

Trying to grasp,

Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Debbie, verse 10 was cool in that it said, "The Lord was pleased that Solomon had asked for wisdom."
It is neat to know that we can "please" the Lord with our choices.

It is also so sweet that God wanted to give Solomon something, anything he wanted. Then God gave Solomon more than he asked for.