Friday, May 21, 2010

Wisdom and Awe


1 Kings 3:26

…"Oh no, my lord! Give her the child-please do not kill him!"

Wow, what a way to get to the truth. Here bring me a sword I'll just cut him in half. Imagine it – two women fighting, tugging on the baby and the King on his throne. The pure wisdom shown by asking for a sword to cut the child in half was shown by Solomon. We all know that a mother that loves her child isn't going to allow this to happen. The mother would rather walk away alone and give her child to the woman that lied.

We might to get to the truth in a lot of situations, if we used the Wisdom of Solomon. Today, we worry more about being politically correct than what is wise. Solomon caused others to be in awe of his wisdom. I was trying to remember the last time I was awed by the wisdom shown by people in leadership. It's been awhile. Oh to be awed again.

Wise is defined as the power to discern to make judgment. Definitely Solomon was wise in how he handled this situation. Awed is defined as the overwhelming feeling of admiration, reverence. I was recently in church the last time I was awed. A pastor stood in the pulpit and cried about the lost souls that he came in contact with every day. You could feel his pain and I admired his honesty. I came away believing this man to be a wise man that was trying to make a difference. I knew this man did not care how many times his phone would ring the following day because of his honesty. The pastor cared more about helping others get to heaven than whose toes he might be stepping on.

One day maybe someone will compare you to Solomon with your wise choice and others will be in awe. Situations sometimes call for us to try to discern the right choice and we will be wise, if we learn from The Word that we are reading daily. If we call on the Lord to guide us along this journey, we will grow in wisdom.

Sweet blessings,

Debbie

2 comments:

Rozi said...

Sometimes you awe me with your wisdom, but I agree there does not seem to be much wisdom these days. I wonder how some people can be so educated and so clueless, too. That is just a common persons observation.

Rozi

Frankie said...

Debbie, I was thinking how there must have been so many other situations that Solomon had to render justice. Wouldn't it be cool to know about the others?

I was touched by Solomon's words in 2 Chronicles 2:5-6a as he prepared to build the Temple. He said, "This must be a magnificent Temple because our God is greater than other gods. But who can really build Him a worthy home? Not even the highest heavens can contain Him!"

There is no god like our God!