Saturday, May 7, 2011

Apple of your eye

Psalm 17:8 ~ Guard me as you would guard your own eyes. Hide me in the shadow of your wings.

Do you know that Psalm 17 is the first Psalm listed as a prayer? David had 17 petitions for protection in this Psalm. David was fighting the evil in the world and he knew who to pray to for protection!

David was dependent on God and he did not mind proclaiming it for all to hear...Imagine sitting around the fire at night David takes out his harp and he begins to sing or pray this Psalm. O Lord, hear my plea...
Show me your unfailing love in wonderful ways. By your mighty power you rescue those who seek refuge from their enemies. Guard me as you would guard your own eyes. Hide me in the shadow of your wings. Here the powerful leader is praying to whom he knows protects him. Did you know the verse above guard your own eye is referring to the pupil of the eye? It was considered a vital organ and all protect their eyes diligently and this is what David is talking about here.

Imagine, you are still by the fire and the end of the prayer or song as come and this is the closing words before laying down to sleep ~ Because I am righteous, I will see you. When I awake, I will see you face to face and be satisfied.

Sweet blessings,
Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Someone I am sure was privy to hearing these beautiful Psalms as they came from David's lips. Do you think they loved the Lord like David did?

The reading today was just full of great passages. I particularly like Plsam 14:2, "The Lord looks down from heaven on the entire human race; he looks to see if anyone is truly wise, if anyone seeks God." Seeking God makes us wise!