Thursday, October 29, 2009

Hang up the robe!


John 13:4

So he got up from the table, took off his robe, wrapped a towel around his waist….

Have you ever taken a mission trip? Have you ever participated in a mission experience with a local shelter?

Did you go in thinking what a good thing you were doing? I have to admit…I did!

Was I shocked when I realized that it was me that would be changed!

The scripture above speaks to something that mission work will do for you; if you don't do this yourself…It will take off your robe! What do you have standing in the way of service work?

Is it possibly time? Is it pride? Is it just not in your comfort zone?

Well, let God take off your robe for you and experience a life changing time with your heart! I remember the first mission trip to the Appalachian Mountains. The day before I left I was so upset…I was talking to myself what have I done? I don't know anything about helping work or work on repairs for a house...I don't know anything about any of this stuff.

Upon arrival, I realized that it didn't matter what I knew about building it was that God wanted to work on my heart and my eyes. Was the floor hard that we slept on at night? Yes. Were the showers cold? Yes. Did my heart change? Yes.

I remember a feeling washing over me that is not easily explained other than to say that I was a part of something much bigger than me. I was taking off my pride, my feelings of being superior, my busy schedule and I was letting another human being know that they mattered. I was doing something for them that they could not do for themselves and it felt fabulous. It truly wasn't about me…

I still don't like sleeping on the floor or cold showers, but I love the feeling of being a servant. The feeling that I am serving someone like Jesus would!

So, take off your robe ~ whatever it is and see the world through new eyes! It is amazing!

Serving,

Debbie

3 comments:

Frankie said...

Debbie, I read that when Jesus took off his robe, what He was left wearing would have been how the servants looked during that time. I also think that the robe he took off would have been one that a teacher/rabbi would have worn. He visually changed roles. I thought that whole scene was beautiful.

Right before in John 13: 1 it says that, "He had loved his disciples during his ministry on earth, and now he loved them to the very end." So touching! And then He performs this act of service by washing their feet.

Then on down in verse 15, Jesus says, "I have given you an example to follow. Do as I have done to you."

Praying that I can follow His example today and wondering what the robe is that I need to take off that I might be a servant?

Linda said...

I like that image of "taking off your robe". How humbling it must have been for the disciples, and what a commission he gave them----and us!

Train Up a Child -- Encouragement for Moms said...

Talk about a humbling experience though...the King of Kings, the Lord of Lords, our Heavenly Father in human form bowing and washing your feet. It would be so humbling for me personally, and yet He has done so much more that I often take for granted.

I had the opportunity to wash the feet of a lady in my church. I scrubbed them, rinsed them, dried them, and then put lotion on them. Serving her in that way was an honor and a priviledge. I didn't think it would be, but it was. She was so appreciative too.

When He was washing their feet, He knew who would sell Him out. He knew who would betray Him too, and yet He served them the same as the others. Talk about grace! Do we serve those who have hurt us or will hurt us?

There are so many angles to look at this whole experience in the Bible. It is so rich!

Thanks for sharing.

Love ya,

Kristy