Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Riding the waves


Mark 4: 40

"Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?"

I want each of us to think back to a time in our journey that we showed fear. Why did we have so much fear in our hearts?

Now think about a storm. The wind howling and pushing your body back and forth, the abuse your body feels when you take in words that hurt and howl to your soul. Waves that batter you back and forth, tossing you from side to side and the anger that begins to build in your spirit and it feels like you are going to explode. Who is in charge of this storm? Is it you and me? Are we allowing the storms of our life to make these feelings become so heavy on our hearts?

I read one commentary that talks about the shipwreck that is headed our way because we forget who is in the boat with us! Have we all forgotten who is with us? Did you wake Jesus and share your storm with Him? Or did you give in to temptation and handle it yourself or call a friend to help make the storm a little bit worse? I've done both! I admit it! Rather than take care of the storm by sharing it with Jesus I've given into temptation and enlarged the waves, the wind, and the rain.

Why do we take it upon ourselves when in our hearts we know that verse 41 tells us that the storms of our life will be calm if we just call on Him! After all,

"Even the wind and waves obey him!"

What about your next storms who are you going to ride the waves with ~ After all, He doesn't tell us storms are not headed our way, but He does tell us that He will not leave us or forsake us! So again, who is taking the boat ride with you?

Sweet blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

In some way it is comforting to know that the disciples were no different than us. I find Jesus asking me the same questions. Frankie, why are you afraid? Frankie, do you still have no faith?

Like the father of the boy with the evil spirit in Mark 9:24 I cry out, "I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief."

Thinking about who is in the boat with me today.