Thursday, August 20, 2009

Sour grapes


Ezekiel 18: 2

'The parents have eaten sour grapes, but their children's mouths pucker at the taste'?

Have you ever watched when a friend or someone you care about deeply is bent over with the shame of something that someone else did, but they are carrying the load? It often pains me that we seem to think that the sins of the parents go to the children or vice versa…

Judging? Don't we humans love to judge other people?

I am always amazed when I take it upon myself to judge someone else ~ that when I do know the story (like it is any of my business anyway) it is nothing like I judged. I am always wrong. I don't know if we begin to help people carry the load of their pain and so in turn we carry along the sins, but it's not ours to carry.

Nope, this scripture goes on to tell us that we are individually taken into account. In verse 22, it tells us that all their past sins will be forgotten, and they will live because of the righteous things they have done.

Growing up, did you ever have a teacher ask someone "what did you have for breakfast sour grapes?" Well, now you know the rest of the story! You didn't do it and you don't have to carry it, either!

Sweet Blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Debbie, what a precious picture! Thank you for the words of encouragement that you have given us this morning.

It is interesting how so many of the "old sayings" that we have heard through our life have come from the Bible.

Praying that I don't look or act like I had sour grapes today.