Friday, October 30, 2015

Before the rooster crows



Luke 22: 31-38

Reading the news headlines around the world I often ask myself "how would I respond" or "what would I do".  I want to believe never ever would I deny, but none of us know until the situation is presented to us.  It is horrible what is happening to Christians around the world and we must not sit with our heads in the sand believing it will never happen here.  I pray none of us ever face it, but we might.  Would we be like Peter?

Peter the rock.  The man that traveled with Jesus.  The man that walked on water until he took his eyes off the Lord.  The man who in Luke 22 we read will deny the Lord 3 times before the rooster crowed the next morning.  A man who knew, but still feared.

In the beginning of the reading Simon's name is repeated which is an expression of love, but stated with warning the commentaries tell me.  I love that Jesus is still reassuring the disciples of his love even when He is warning them of danger. Think back to your childhood when your parent or loved one would say your name more than once and with a warning about something.  You felt their love.  You felt their concern.  Jesus loved and was concerned for Peter.

In John 14: 1- 14, we hear these loving words that Jesus spoke to the disciples, but also to us for such a time as this:

"Don't let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God, and trust also in me.  There is more than enough room in my Father's home.  If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?  When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am.  And you know the way to where I am going."

Claim these verses!  Trust!  Believe!  Know in your heart that there is enough room for all of us in Our Father's Home!

Sweet blessings,
Debbie

No comments: