Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Zeal for God


2 Kings 2: 11

As they were walking along and talking, suddenly a chariot of fire appeared, drawn by horses of fire.

Imagine, it!

Wow!

I read this story on the edge of my chair this morning with excitement. Excitement about Elisha's devotion to giving his undivided attention to Elijah on the walk for Elijah to be taken away from the world we reside in. Over and over, he tells people to be quiet about it. He didn't want anyone taking his attention away from Elijah or allow Elijah to see that he knew what was about to happen.

Elisha desired a double portion of Elijah's spirit. What a request...and then Elijah's reply that he asked for a difficult thing. After researching, I learned that he was stating that only God could grant such a wish. Only He decides when, who and if to give this request. Elisha was a special man already, he knew what mattered and he spoke out in such boldness knowing that God would hear his request.

What a moment in time to witness. Elisha was special to witness such a moment. Imagine, suddenly a chariot of fire with horses of fire taking your mentor, your friend and disappearing in such a grand way. Elijah was a man burning with his desire, his love and as one commentary put it zeal for God. He was burning like fire, so this was the way that he was taken into the presence of God. Wow…

Such zeal which means desire for someone or something…What do you have a zeal for? I read a story about zeal that places important things to think about in our head.

Halford Lucock says, "I was impressed several years ago when I read the Eugene Ormandy dislocated a shoulder while directing the Philadelphia Orchestra. I do not know what they were playing, but he was giving all of himself to it! And I have asked myself sadly, 'Did I ever dislocate anything, even a necktie?'"

Progress Magazine, December 31, 1992.

Again, I close with the question what do you desire most in life? What do you desire more of? Do you have a zeal for Christ that you want to know all you can about Him? Do you want to share all you are able to about Him? What do you have such a burning desire for in your spirit?

Again, what a chapter about two very special men of God burning with desire for only God!

Excited,

Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Debbie, when I read about the chariot of fire and the horses of fire this morning, I thought what a sight that must have been. Can you imagine Elisha telling of this incredible sight that he witnessed to other people? Did they believe him? Of course fifty men seached for three days for Elijah and could not find him.

I also took note of the many miracles that were performed in today's reading.