Friday, January 6, 2012

No Perhaps be Certain!

Perhaps?

Genesis 16, 17 and Matthew 5:27-48
Perhaps?

Perhaps it’s this or it’s that, but deep in Sarai’s heart she knew!  I believe it with all my heart when I was reading the story this morning in Genesis 16 that Sarai knew not to send Hagar to Abram, but she did it anyway.  Ever been there?  You knew deep in your heart not to do something, but you did it anyway?  Well, I think that is Sarai’s story in chapter 16.  She tells Abram that the LORD has kept her from having children, so Go, sleep with my maidservant; perhaps I can build a family through her.  Well, if Sarai had learned anything this far along on the trip with Abram things could be certain not just perhaps. 
God had told them that Abram would be the father of many nations, so once again the little serpent began to seep into the heart of Sarai with doubt!  She would just help God out.  Well, I’ve been there too and His plan is always much better than me getting involved and helping out!  The case is definitely the same here.  I don’t know about you, but I’m just not that willing to allow another woman to help me out and I’ve been where Sarai isnot able to have children!  Women don’t forget things like this oh no they build and build!
Look at it from Hagar’s position she had no choice in the matter, she just had to do what her masters said and that was go sleep with Abram.  She was obedient and her attitude changed.  Could you blame her?  She didn’t have any say in a pretty big decision for her life.  Everything changed from the moment that Sarai said, Perhaps
Don’t say perhaps; be certain in your choices!  Always know in your heart that God is leading you and we will not end up in situations like this with a threesome that God is not the third person!
No perhaps for this lady,
Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

There were a couple of things that stood out to me from the reading today. From Genesis 16:11, The angel of the Lord gave Hagar the name for her baby (Ishmael) and in Genesis 17: 19 it says that God named Isaac. It is interesting to me that both of those names came from heaven. I never noticed that in this story before.

Also from Genesis 17:8 where God promises Canaan to Abraham and his
descendants I wonder why that land? Is it because it was flowing with "milk and honey?" Just wondering if anyone has some thoughts on that?