Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Stumble?


Psalm 121:3

He will not let you stumble; the one who watches over you will not slumber.

I loved this verse! I loved that while I am sleeping The LORD is watching over me. He never sleeps on us. It brought to mind the story of Jesus in the Garden right before they arrest Him and the disciples went to sleep. We fail Him and yet He watches over us.

I know the disciples were full, they had just eaten a big meal, but at a time that Jesus needed them so much they went to sleep. So do we. We are asleep in a world that so desperately needs Jesus. Let me explain, over 5 billion people in this world are not Christians. Over 1 billion have not even heard the gospel and yet what are we doing about it? Do we fall asleep to ignore that God called each of us to go and make disciples?

I stumble everyday trying to ignore what God wants me to do at certain times. It is so hard to step out of my comfort zone and share the amazing things God is doing in my life. I guess that I still fear what might be said back to me. When I read this and pondered it, I was reminded do you fear the time when you stand before me and I ask you Debbie why didn't you approach that lady you knew was hurting? Why did you act like you didn't see that homeless person walking beside you on the street? Why Debbie did you not respond to the person in need?

Our LORD never sleeps while He watches over us. I stumble, because I don't turn to Him. I stumble, because I don't call out His name. When I do call His name, He indeed picks me up and carries me through the difficult time. If I turn to Him, I feel His loving arms of comfort. Our stumbles in life are the steps we take, not the LORD.

Forgive me Father when I stumble. Thank you Father for the times you keep me from stumbling, when I call out for You. Thank you Father for watching over me while I sleep. I love You Father and I am so sorry for the times that I fall short. Father, I will never quit getting up when I do stumble. Father, it is my prayer that I will learn to call Your name always. Amen.

Sweet blessings,

Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Debbie, as I read your posting I thought of the the song on your playlist, "While You Were Sleeping" by Casting Crowns. We are easily lulled to sleep, but He who watches over Israel never slumbers or sleeps, verse 4.

This Psalm is a beautiful reminder that God watches over us. Verse 5 says, "The Lord himself watches over you!" Verse 8 says, "The Lord keeps watch over you as you come and go, both now and forever."