Saturday, July 31, 2010

Filled with Remorse


2 Kings 22:19

You were sorry and humbled yourself before the LORD when you heard what I said against the city and its people-that this land would be cursed and become desolate. You tore your clothing in despair and wept before me in repentance. And I have indeed heard you, says the LORD.

Josiah was sorry, truly sorry. Josiah was the best king since David according to several commentaries. He was truly searching, looking for God's will for the people. He listened to the Book of Law and he knew. He knew the sin and he was filled with despair.

I pondered this early today thinking am I filled with despair with the disobedience that surrounds me? Our world is filled with people following their own path, rather than the LORD'S, but…do I worry about it? I don't believe that I feel the pain that I should. After reading the passage this morning I was struck with how Josiah trembled about God's Word. Do we? His heart was weak and soft and he was brought down or humbled because of the wrongs. Wrongs of others not just his own…Is it just me or does it seem that our society worries more about ourselves? You know the ME Society? Well, according to this verse we should feel the wrongs of others as much as our own. I don't know it just hit me this morning after reading about the despair Josiah felt for ALL.

Josiah was so upset for the wrongs of all the people that he was brought down with despair and remorse before God. Wow, this truly moves me. A King that felt the pain of the country not following the law of God! He truly repented for the sins and God heard him. Imagine, God truly, moreover, indeed heard the pain of this man and the true remorse felt inside of this man. Could the same be said of us?

Father, I am sorry for the times that I just don't even pay attention to the wrongs of the whole. The times that I forget about others, much less myself when we abandon you and You're Laws. I beg your forgiveness for the times that I am less than I should be which most of the time is. I beg forgiveness for the times that I am filled with pride that is yours and yours alone! Thank you Father for hearing me! I know that you love us Father and the grace that you give us is amazing. Forgive me Father for the times that I don't tremble at your amazing Word. We should never forget the Word and the lessons that You give us, if we just pick it up. Thank you for this amazing gift of love that You gave each of us to ponder and learn. Amen.

Filled with Remorse,

Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Debbie, first of all, the sincerity of your prayer touched me.

Secondly, it saddens me to say that we are these people that we read about each day in the Bible. It is no wonder that so many kings before Josiah had turned from God. Josiah sent the priest to get the money from the treasury in the Temple and the THE PRIEST stumbles upon the Book of the Law. He is like, "look what I found!" What had the priests been doing all those years? This just shows that we can be in the church, "playing church" yet leaving God and His Holy Word completely out. What are we doing ignoring God's Word? Lord, forgive us.