Saturday, July 4, 2009

Quinch your thirst!



Do you ever long for a drink of water and only a taste of water will fill that yearning? Well, Psalm 42 is a yearning to return home to the temple. The writer of this Psalm is away from the temple and he is unable to worship in the temple that he is so yearning for in his very being.

At times I think we all yearn for so many things. We think one thing will take care of the feeling, you attain it and the hole is still there. Ever feel that way? I know I have until I finally realized the yearning I had was for God and only He could feel it. Things, My family or friends none of that would fill that big hole.

I studied this Psalm and learned some interesting things that I want to share with you that brought a deeper meaning to this scripture. Psalm 42 & 43 were at one time one psalm. The Jews made them 2 Psalms about 200 years before Christ. Also, did you know that the Jewish people would never draw a picture of God and that Christians would not do this either at first, so they would always paint a deer to represent Jesus? Is that not the coolest fact?

I have a dear friend that the deer in her family recently has had very special meaning to them and now I pray it will be even more. Jesus is with them and with us!
It doesn't matter where we are God is with us! We may not be in the temple we so long for, but God is our rock right where we find ourselves. Whether we are discouraged or praising God ~ He is with us!

The writer of this Psalm felt like a hostage taken away from the land he loved and he probably was away from Jerusalem when he wrote this mighty powerful Psalm. You feel his pain, the yearning and yet you feel Him praising God through it all. Look at verse 7, this verse is similar to what Jonah said in Jonah chapter 2...some people think these two men might have crossed paths and that Jonah was saying part of verse 7 in ~ I hear the tumult of the raging seas as your waves and surging tides sweep over me....He is there!

Today, on this 4th of July we Americans need to remember that God is here with us and that we must put our faith in Our Mighty Savior and build our homes on that mighty foundation and find our hope during these difficult days in only the Great I Am!

Thirsty,

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Oh Debbie, what beautiful imagery of Jesus and the deer. Yes, a very cool fact.

I have a couple of things to share this morning that I hope will help someone else. First are the words of David and Habakkuk as they proclaim, "The Sovereign Lord is my strentgh; He makes my feet like the feet of deer, He enables me to go on the heights." (psalm 18:33 and Hab. 3:19). Let the Lord be your strength today.

Second is that I would encourage anyone to read Psalm 42 for comfort in whatever you maybe going through. It will speak to your soul and give you hope for the day.

Debbie, in reminding me of the words of the Living God you helped me to set my eyes where they should be for the day. Happy Fourth of July and May God Bless the USA!