Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Are we willing?


Mark 1: 17 – 18

Jesus called out to them, "Come, follow me, and I will show you how to fish for people!" And they left their nets at once and followed him.

Immediately, I am struck with the words "at once." Not in a minute, not tomorrow, but immediately they left what they were doing and followed. I picture myself in the boat possibly with people that I love, thinking of things at home that I need to take care of first and wonder would my response have been well I can be ready by lunch tomorrow or would I jump right out and say Love you to family and friends and be on my way. What about you?

Have you ever watched the show Deadliest Catch on the Discovery Channel? It shows us that fishing is not always serene like the picture indicates today. Fishing is hard work and sometimes it is lean in money, hard on the families, and the fish aren't just jumping in the boat. Don't you think we might be like those fish?

The two paragraphs above are filled with lots of food for thought. How about a little bit more? One of the commentaries stated that children of the world are like fish. We are lost in the ocean of life wandering endlessly without much purpose. We are unprofitable just floating in the oceans of life until someone or something decides to fish us out of the ocean. Have you ever thought about the peril that some fisherman put themselves into to catch the fish?

Also, the commentary stated that Jesus liked the community shown in the fishing family and friends. In other words the love they showed each other. He knew the type of people he was calling to follow him.

Are we women willing to take a chance on another human being? Are we women willing to lose it all for another? Are we women willing to cast the net and come up empty, but yet we have a willing heart? Are we women willing to drop it all immediately and follow? What about it? Are we up for the task? Are we willing to cast a net?

Pondering,

Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Debbie, I am thinking on the faith that Simon and Peter showed to leave their nets at once and follow Jesus. Had they heard of this Jesus of Nazereth?

And then in the next couple of verses 21 and 22, just up the shore Jesus saw the brothers James and John. Jesus said, "come" and they immediately followed him.

Yes, I think Jesus knew the type of men He was calling and their hearts. May they be examples of faith for us.