Saturday, September 26, 2009

Searching?


Luke 2:49

"But why did you need to search?" he asked. "Didn't you know that I must be in my Father's house?"

Reading this scripture this morning, I was reminded of the time my sister, Pam decided to walk around the block without anyone knowing. She was only about 4 at the most 5 and I remember how desperate my mother searched for her. She was panicked. We were afraid. I remember everyone looking and finally someone yelling she is around the block and the speed in which my mom moved through the neighbor's yards to maneuver over to where Pam was located. The joy of finding her and the fear at the same moment of the danger that she didn't understand.

Imagine the parents of Jesus. Three long days had passed since they had seen their son and when they finally locate him ~ Jesus questioned his parents with ~ Why search? Didn't you know that I would be here in the church? I would be here debating and learning from other Teachers?

I imagine from a parents stand point on the one hand you are so proud and on the other you are relieved and on the other a little bit angry! First and foremost they were parents and they had lost their child, but not only their child, THE MESSIAH! Oops…

What a mixture of emotions these two people must have felt about Jesus, their son his entire life. Yesterday, we were told that the shepherds shared with Mary the story about the angels singing and praising God about the birth of Jesus. It goes on to tell us that Mary kept all these things in her heart and thought of them often. Today, we are told in verse 51 that his mother stored all these things in her heart.

Looking for deeper meanings to the words described in these verses. God showed me several things. First, he was giving Mary treasures to continually think about in the future. Second, I believe that God is asking us the question ~ Where do you seek me Debbie? Where do you look for me? The next question is Debbie you know where I am, so why don't you inquire and seek me in the places I've told you to look?

Wow, once again God showed up and asked me some important questions this morning! What about you? Where do you seek God? Where do you look for God? What things is God giving you to treasure and remember?

Remembering,

Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Today I'll be pondering on the thought that God might be asking, "where do you seek me, Frankie?"