Friday, December 3, 2010

Love or something like it...


I sat and listened. I wondered is this really what young people think? Read a book, get the way its done and it will work?

I ask, what's the book about and she replied love. Going further she explained I want a marriage that works and this book will help me. I thought about all the young people I knew that read books like this thinking it had some magical formula to make a marriage work and thought you need a book alright, but not the one you are reading. Why is it that we always reach for a book other than the Bible? The Bible teaches us all about love and how to make it work. All types of love are explained in the Bible and yet no one to take this wisdom from the Bible. It is easier to pick up a book by the latest love guru and believe it will happen.

Sad...sad...sad...

She went on how long have you been married? I replied since 1983 and how did it work? Lots of give and take...lots of turning the other cheek...lots of loving the other person in spite...She told me this book said you have to love yourself first and she agreed. I pondered a moment and replied "well I think our society does pretty well with loving ourselves first." What do you mean, she probbed...well look around you. Listen to the television isn't it all about what do you want? What do you need? How to get it and it is always about be sure you are getting everything that is rightfully yours. We have the me part down, it's the loving the other we don't have down very good. It's truly sad, what we older folks are leading our young people to believe.

The picture shows an older couple watching the sunset. It made me think I wonder how many times they picked up a book, rather than turn the other cheek...or say I know honey I love you...how many times they prayed Lord help us...Lord, forgive me and help me to turn the other cheek...

Indeed, love is turn the cheek and love in spite...Love is always saying you are sorry and asking forgiveness. After all, don't we all need forgiveness? I am reminded of Love Story and that famous line of love means never having to say your sorry...I disagree strongly. After all, dont' we ask Our Savior forgiveness? Shouldn't we ask the one we love forgiveness as well? After all, isn't this another way they know we care? We care if we want them to forgive us, right?

Anyway, pondering thoughts on love after discussions with a young girl....

Sweet blessings,
Debbie

No comments: