Monday, January 10, 2011

Surely the Lord is in this place


So much in the reading today that struck me. First, the beginning with Esau's anger knowing his parents feelings going to Ishmael to marry his daughter. Defiant, we read yesterday where his birthright he gave away for food and then his blessing was stolen from him. Esau was filled with bad stuff. The stuff that nothing good will come from and that definitely fits Esau's situation. I can't help remembering though that we were told that Issac favored Esau, so how could he not value his birthright more? He would have learned from Issac how much this meant to him and God and yet for a bowl of soup it was gone...

We left the reading yesterday with Jacob on the run. He found a good place to sleep and laid down to sleep. In his sleep a dream came of a stairway that reached from heaven to earth and the angel moving back and forth. At the top, stood the LORD with the message telling him that He is the LORD and that the ground you are laying on belongs to you and that God would protect him wherever he went. Wow, what a gift! The gift of such an amazing vision and promise.

Jacob awakens and stated "Surely the Lord is in this place"...BUT then he said IF, IF, IF...what did that mean? Jacob was given the gift of this dream and yet he said If God indeed be with me and protect me me on this journey, and if he will provide me with food and clothing. and if I return safely to my father's home, then the LORD will certainly be my God. Does this not strike you to be a lot like us? IF you do this, then I will do this???

Here God gave Jacob an amazing experience without a doubt a God moment and still the IFS overflow out of Jacob's mouth. Indeed, Jacob built an altar, annointed it, built the worship site and even made a pledge of giving but it still had if in the words! Jacob is so much like us, isn't he? I promise God, if you do this then I will do this...Why not just step in faith? God already proved His love for us, over and over, over and over...yet we struggle just like Jacob!

Jacob gives us all hope because he is so much like us or at least me. What about you? Am I alone in admitting this fact?

Another part from the reading today is the in Genesis 29:11 when Jacob kissed Rachel and he wept aloud. Do you think perhaps he wept aloud, because he is beginning to see God's work? He is beginning to recognize it?

Wow, Wow how I love God's Word...

Sweet blessings,
Debbie

P.S. Pray that we will all have the power to speak about God's Love with others or that our Light will shine so that they ask why...

No comments: