Saturday, January 8, 2011

Tripped up...


Beautiful babies! Do you think Esau and Jacob ever looked like this photo?

Reading from Genesis 25 today, it struck me that they were fighting even in the womb. Looking up additional information, I learned that Rebekah was in so much pain during the pregnancy that she went to a prophet to approach God about why. The original words for struggling was they were crushing each other in the womb. She wanted to know if this was normal and was she going to die, it was so painful. Two little boys that their world would never seem peaceful like this photo.

Jacob which translated is "Yaccob" means to defraud, deceive, overthrow by tripping up his heels. Well, what an appropriate name for this little guy. We all realize by the message that Rebekah received from God that this was part of his plan, but ...

Two nations that never get along...How sad I would think for a mother to hear these words! A struggle that we still deal with today.

On a sidenote about this story one commentary stated that they believe Issac pleaded with God at the site where Abraham trusted God to save Issac on the altar. I thought this was a cool thought, who knows...

Hard to comprehend God's ways...That is the reason to trust and have faith that indeed God's ways are not our ways. We don't understand or know and that is what faith is all about, so we trust and believe only in Him!

Sweet blessings,
Debbie

Prayer Special is to end the world terrorism and hate for one another. Lofty, but it is possible with God!

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Our reading today was very short wasn't it? I turned the page and that was the end.

Indeed God's ways are not the same as our ways. He always does things in a manner that I haven't thought up.

In Genesis 25:22, I do admire that Rebekah took her question to the Lord. She asked Him, "Why is this happening to me?"

I am pondering why I don't go to Him first with all of my questions?