Saturday, January 10, 2015

Comparing a good thing? I don't think so...



Genesis 28:6 - 22, 29

Reading the scripture today, the story of two sisters and in the past few days the story of two brothers the word comparing came to mind.  So I decided to look up the exact meaning of compare ~ to examine in order to note similarities and differences.  I read a quote on comparison that really struck a chord with me ~ " You can't compare an apple and an orange.  It will cause a lot of self-esteem issues." Craig Sheffer

The women found in our reading today Rachel and Leah were very different, but I believe they compared themselves to each other a lot.  I base this on being a woman.  I have found in women's ministry that we women like to compare ourselves in different ways to each other.  How do I compare with her ability to decorate?  cook? dress? looks?  mother?  How does my ability to ???? compare???

What do you think comparison brings on with one's emotions or self-esteem?  I think a lot!  In our story today, Rachel felt beautiful.  We are told she had a beautiful figure and a lovely face and with Leah we are told she had no sparkle in her eyes, she was unloved.  Our thoughts immediately tell us that Rachel had a certain confidence in her appearance and Leah had none.  What do you think all of this brought on in their relationship?  Trouble, unrest, jealousy?  Just a few of the things that come to mind and then their own father tricks Jacob and send Leah to him to be his wife.  Trouble before and now well we know it's only brewing a storm from here on out...

Which the story of Jacob and Esau pretty much brought some of the same thoughts to my mind...it makes all of us question how much we matter when we compare to others!  We should claim the words found in Psalm 139: 13 -18 
For you created my inmost being;
    you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
    your works are wonderful,
    I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
    when I was made in the secret place,
    when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed body;
    all the days ordained for me were written in your book
    before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts,[a] God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
    they would outnumber the grains of sand

    when I awake, I am still with you.

Over and over in my mind when I claim these words, my spirit reminds me that each of us are special and wonderful and that God does not make junk!  We get into trouble and so did these brothers and sisters by comparing themselves to each other.  We need to remember that God makes unique, special plans for each one of us and we need to each travel the special road designed by Our Father for each one of us!  Comparison is a road that at times may bring on a lot of trouble, if we aren't careful.  

So today, when you start to compare perhaps remember the scripture from Psalm 139 ~ God made you unique.  He knit you together in your mother's womb and that makes you special and wonderful!

Sweet blessings,
Debbie


1 comment:

Frankie said...

God knew that we all would need to be reminded of how unique and special we are and He gave us Psalm 139 to remind us!