Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Permission to Doubt ~ Ann C Sullivan Book Review

 Doubt is defined as to be uncertain about, hesitate to believe and well for Christians admitting those feelings happen is a hard thing to do.  Admit it!  I know with me it almost makes me feel less than I should be, but through Ann's book I've realized it is a part of our journey and that I am not alone!

Admitting doubt and realizing we need help is how I define this wonderful, easy to read book by Ann Sullivan.  It's okay to admit that we don't have all the answers, but we do have lots of questions.  Panic attacks resulted in Ann digging deeper into the doubts she had to a very real, alive faith journey.  It made Ann dig deeper through scriptures, stories, people to realize most all Christians have these same feelings, they just may not admit it.  She tries to take the stigma away from asking questions and admitting her feelings.  I think she achieves it!

The book is anchored in God's Word and throughout the journey of reading this book, you will be strengthened in your faith.  Many of us have doubts for many different reasons, but Ann addresses many of them.  We all face 3 big ones which Ann writes about spiritual, intellectual, and emotional doubts.  

I think one of the most beautifully written paragraphs was found in the chapter ~ The Day I Met Doubt on page 135 where Ann wrote these words "I wondered if I'd offended Him (God) or if He was punishing me for something?  Was my problem guilt related?  I compulsively searched for sins to confess and apologized to anyone who'd listen.  Then, when even that didn't help, I started questioning Him.  Doubts began to plow through me with a vengeance."  How many of us have not ever had these thoughts?  These words of honesty just touched my heart, because she was saying things I had thought, but never spoken aloud.  These are just a few of the words I am offering my book is dog eared throughout with touching heart felt times that I had experienced myself.

I was given this book to review by Kregel Publications and I encourage all of you to check it out for yourself.  It is worth buying it at Amazon.com or any other book outlet.


Purchase it today!

Permissions to Doubt by Ann C. Sullivan



Blessings,
Debbie Covington

No comments: