Sunday, January 4, 2015

Leave




Today's reading is found in Genesis 12 -14.

Right off God got my attention with the reading with His words to Abram.   Hit the road not God's words my words, but that is pretty much what He told him to do.  I try to imagine things during this time and it's hard.  We have so much on the television, computer, and everything else that we have an idea of what the foreign place or the next town might be like, but Abram didn't.  He had no idea what to expect.  

Imagine, yourself in Abram's sandals going about his everyday life in Haran where we learned at the end of our reading yesterday they stopped when they were headed to Canaan.  Abram still lived with his father, his wife Sarai, and his nephew Lot was around too.  So, they had made a home when Abram got the call from the LORD, Leave your native country, your relatives, and your father's family, and go to the land that I will show you.  I will make you into a great nation.  I will bless you and make you famous, and you will be a blessing to others.  

Do you think Abram packed up right away?  Do you think he delayed the leaving or got right on with the process?  I can't imagine.  God gave him some pretty big instructions about leaving all familiar and going to the unknown, but if he would he would be blessed.  

I think he was excited, but ...  At least, I think that is what I would have felt with a whole lot of trepidation.  Unknown's aren't easy to take the first step into.  If we know what to expect, it's a lot easier to pack.  If we don't know where we are going, what do we take along?  So many questions, but Abram departed as the LORD instructed.  Faith!

What is God asking you to leave right now?  Is it a place?  Is it a situation?  Is it ????  Perhaps, He's not asking you to leave, but He wants you show your faith in His instructions and take the first step on the journey of perhaps a new ministry?  A new job?  A new ???  Again, I don't know your situations, but I do know that Abram is teaching us how to be faithful, so pack your bags or take the first step!

Enjoy the journey,
Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

That is a neat thought that going towards something new requires us leaving something behind. I think we humans are always tempted to not follow God's instructions completely and that is where we get into trouble. We think we know what is best and then the trouble begins. God told Abram to leave his country, your relatives and your father's family...and Abram took Lot...then Abram had to rescue Lot...and you know the rest of that story.