Saturday, January 16, 2010

Come closer


Genesis 43:32

…The Egyptians who ate with Joseph sat at their own table because Egyptians despise Hebrews and refuse to eat with them.


 

Wow, how sad! Here is a man that provided the resources so that the Egyptians would make it through the famine and yet they would not eat the food provided because of Joseph and the knowledge that God gave him. Last year I don't think I caught this fact. Isn't this awful? Think about it…they ate the food, but not at the table with Joseph. They allowed him to take care of them, but would not fellowship with him. The despised the man that saved them.

Imagine the loneliness that Joseph felt. He was good enough to save them, but not for them to share a meal with him. Our burdens are never easy for us to deal with, but we manage with God sitting at our side at the table. Amazing love…Joseph had to feel it to make it through these difficult, lonely years.

The last thought today was from Genesis 45 ~ So it was God who sent me here, not you! Joseph understood the difficult, lonely years were all a part of God's plans. It wasn't the brothers, it wasn't Joseph it was God. God provides for us during the difficult times and during these times we must always remember that we are not alone and that God will take care of us and that healing will come. In Genesis 45: 14 it tells us Joseph was weeping with joy. Imagine this wonderful family reunion only God is able to provide. Is there a family member that you might need to allow God to use His mighty healing balm in the relationship?

Today treasure and ponder the words Joseph told his brothers ~ Please, come closer..Who do you need to move closer to?

Pondering and treasuring,

Debbie

2 comments:

Bill's Friend said...

Don't you just love stories that have happy endings. Boy, I do....

Debbie, I'm glad you pointed out about the Egyptians despising the Hebrews. I didn't really put a whole lot of thought into to when I first read it. But you know, we see racism all over the world-even today. It looks as though it's always been that way. It's sad... Really sad....

The one thing that I have had a hard time with is Jacob's favoritism. He loved Rachel more than Leah. (Even though, I know he was tricked into marrying Leah.) And, everyone knew it. He loved Joseph more than the other brothers. And they knew it. And then it seems that he loved Benjamin, Joseph's real brother next. And apparently, some of the brothers had a really hard time with it! And so did Leah!!.. Wow!! The favoritism... That's tough....

Joseph is definitely the hero here. Reuben and Judah are heroes too. They are the two brothers who didn't want to harm Joseph in the first place. It was also Reuben and Judah who promised their father that Benjamin would not be harmed in Egypt. Judah even said to Joseph "my lord, let me stay here as a slave instead of the boy (Benjamin)." He didn't want to cause his father anguish. He would have become a slave. What a son...

Frankie said...

I agree with The Chick about the favoritism. Maybe that is just going to be human nature? I don't know. In Genesis 42:38, Jacob's words had to have cut deep when he said to his sons, "... he(Benjamin) is all I have left." Maybe that means all I have left of Rachel. I don't know. Whatever he meant, it had to have hurt deeply to hear your father say that.

In Genesis 42:5-8, I love those verses too and the way that Joseph gives all of the credit to God. How often do I forget to give God the credit He is due? Often. Trying to do better though.