Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The God that sees me!


Genesis 16:7

The angel of the LORD found Hagar beside a spring of water in the wilderness…

Have you been to the wilderness of your journey lately? Were you running away from what maybe God was calling you to do?

I love this verse. God found Hagar. She wasn't lost from Him, but she was trying. How often do we to go the other way from God. Only to meet Him sitting beside the stream in the wilderness we are given the Living water out of mercy.

Did you know Hagar's name means sojourner? Abram's folks probably named her this when they acquired her many think when they were leaving the Pharaoh. Hagar was trying to return probably to this home land of evil. The place that worships other Gods, but the scripture tells us that the angel of The Lord met her.

Imagine, this young woman upset, angry running in the wilderness alone trying to get home. Suddenly, happening upon a stream in the wilderness sitting down and immediately she realizes that The Lord found her. Where are you coming from and where are you heading? I'm running from something...

Immediately, she is told to return to the mean woman and submit. Oops, who wants to hear this? After all, this plan of Sarai's wasn't necessarily Hagar's plan. She already had to submit to this plan of Sarai's and now she is told to return? He promises something though. I will give you many descendants.

He tells her to name her son Ishmael meaning God hears. I heard you Hagar. I came. I showed you mercy. What does she reply? You are the God that sees me. Wow! Is this what you reply?

Do you accept and return? I love this scripture. I see myself in this scripture. So many times I want to run so fast from what God is calling me to do. Why? It isn't necessarily my plans. I have other things in mind. Submitting isn't always easy. You know what I love the most though? God found her. He pursued her. One commentary said the Angel of God's Presence. I want God's Presence. I love to know God is with me. I love to see His hand in my life at work. I love knowing that He is the God that sees me!

Earlier in this reading we are told in Genesis 15:6 - And Abram believed the Lord, and the Lord counted him as righteous because of his faith. All we must do is believe the Lord. Believe, trust, know, feel God's mighty presence because He is the God that sees you and me and He does pursue us in our wilderness times make the choice for Him to find you – submit..return for the dance of your life!

Believing,

Debbie

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Debbie, as I read that passage I thought it seemed to go from the angel of the Lord speaking to Hagar to God himself speaking to her.

I saw the change in verse 10, he added, "I will give you...." Then in verse 13, Hagar says, "Have I truly seen the One who sees me?" Don't know if it was an angel or the Lord himself, but it was definitely a divine encounter.

We see that God speaks to a servant girl who had ears to hear. He still speaks today. Maybe it takes a wilderness experience for us to listen for Him. Do we have ears to hear?