Wednesday, January 6, 2010

You laughed!


Genesis 18: 13 – 17

Then the Lord said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh? Why did she say 'Can an old woman like me have a baby?' Is anything too hard for the LORD?" I will return about this time next year, and Sarah will have a son." Sarah was afraid, so she denied it, saying, "I didn't laugh." But the LORD said, "No, you did laugh."


 

Don't you love this story? Here Sarah is listening behind the curtain to Abraham entertain his friends and she overhears a conversation and she laughed silently to herself and questions.

Next thing you hear is the LORD calling her out to her husband. Wow, the LORD knows. He knows our hearts, our thoughts, everything. How does that make you feel?

Are you like me and sometimes convince yourself that you are able to hide some things and keep it all to yourself. (Your secrets that nobody knows.) Well, the LORD knows.

I love this story. The Lord didn't make a scene by calling Sarah out with Abraham, The LORD, and the two angels. Or at least it doesn't tell us in scripture that He did. It looks like the LORD matter of factly mentioned to Abraham hey Abraham why is your wife laughing? Doesn't she realize that I am able to do anything? She may laugh, but I'll be by this way this time next year and you will have a son.

No, Sarah couldn't leave it alone. Isn't this just the way we, girls have to do it sometimes. We have to plead our case, even if it would be better to keep our mouths shut? She let her fear of The Lord's knowledge and the devil; cause her to tell a lie to the LORD. Again, he simply stated Sarah you did indeed laugh. He knew. He always knows, but sometimes we think we might fool Him and the whole time we are only fooling ourselves.

The LORD knows!

Sweet blessings,

Debbie

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

debbie,
as the lyrics of a song says "you can run, but you can not hide". how true this is with the LORD! he knows our every thought, good or bad. sometimes i find i am in a situation that had good intentions, but somehow goes astray and my only consulation is that i know GOD knows what was in my heart and i had good intent. i find peace in knowing HE knows i meant well!!!!!

Frankie said...

Debbie, I like Anonymous' point about God knowing what is in our hearts and knowing our intent. He really does, doesn't He? Out to the side of that passage I wrote: All-Knowing.

I can just hear the Lord saying those words to Sarah, "No, you did laugh." I pray that I have ears to hear Him when He says to me, "No, Frankie, you did...."

Something new I caught from the reading today is that Abraham hatched the scheme to tell others that Sarah was his sister from the beginning when God first called him to leave his father's home to travel from place to place. He confessed to Abimelech in Genesis 20:11-13. We talked about why he had done that on a previous posting. Well, he had a plan for that all along. We are still the same aren't we? We feel we have to help God out.