Friday, January 8, 2010

Why Lord?


Genesis 25:21

Isaac pleaded with the Lord on behalf of his wife, because she was unable to have children. The Lord answered Isaac's prayer, and Rebekah became pregnant with twins.

Why Lord are some prayers answered and others not? For years, I struggled with this question and for the same reason mentioned above having a baby.

Women come into the world knowing that one day they will be a mom. Truly we are all born I believe with that natural instinct that you want to nurture and care for those you love. You want one to call your own. You grow up carrying for your doll babies and imagining the moment it will be real.

When the time is right you know it will happen ~ no problem. Wrong, at least for me. It didn't happen.

The prayers were lifted. The tests were done. I don't know how many little pregnancy tests I bought just knowing that this would be the one with the positive reading ~ finally a baby. It wasn't to be. God had other plans for me.

I don't know the why someone gets the answer they desire and the other person doesn't. I just know there is a bigger plan and that trust is a must to get through the time you receive the answer you didn't desire. Whether it is infertility, a death of a loved one, a diagnosis, a divorce…the list goes on and on. At these times, we must walk by faith!

I remember thinking after taking one of these pregnancy tests – Why Lord? What's wrong with me that you won't let me be a mom? What did I do?

We always make it about ourselves, don't we? I believe the day God gave me Isaiah 54: 1-4 it was all about me. He was focused on helping me, Debbie understand that He had other plans for my life and that it was about me and He actually shared through this scripture a little glimpse that He had for my life. It just wasn't going to include any natural children for Kenny and Debbie it was going to be other children that we would help and love.

God had plans for my life to help other women through their difficult situations and to remind them of the times He lifted me up and got me through, so that they too would have hope. We don't always get the answer we desire, but God gives us the answer that He knows is the right answer for His big plans.

Is it easy? Never. Do I still at times wonder why I got the answer I did? Yes.

Am I okay? Yes.


 

I truly know in my heart that God had other plans for me and that doesn't mean that I am always okay with it. I don't have to be okay with the circumstances, I just have to be okay with God and show trust in His mighty decisions that I have no way of understanding.

I am okay with all of this and you know why? Because God cared enough about me to show up in Bible study and answer my prayer with His mighty words from Isaiah 54 ~

Sing, O barren woman, you who never bore a child; burst into song, shout for joy, you who were never in labor; because more are the children of the desolate woman than of her who has a husband," says the LORD.

Enlarge the place of your tent, stretch your tent curtains wide, do not hold back; lengthen your cords, strengthen your stakes. For you will spread out to the right and to the left; your descendants will dispossess nations and settle in their desolate cities.

Do not be afraid; you will not suffer shame.

I knew God felt my pain and He was reminding me of His mighty love and I was not alone. None of you are alone either.

Whatever your pain The Lord sees and He cares. Share your pains and your hurts with Him the one who will help to heal the wound.

Sweet blessings,

Debbie

2 comments:

Frankie said...

Debbie, I am always touched by your vulnerability to share your heartache. God will use your story to minister to others no matter what their pain stems from.

He is indeed The Lord who sees and cares. Remembering that today.

Bill's Friend said...

I just have to believe that God knows what is best for us. It sure is hard seeing it that way while we're weathering the storm.