Monday, June 15, 2009

I'll have double portions from God please!



Have you ever looked at another woman of God and thought I would just like to have a little bit more of Jesus in me, like her? Well, me too. You know what? All we have to do is talk to God about it and spend the time with Him and we will get just that ...a double portion and even more.

I love the story today from 2 Kings 2: 1-18. Elijah and Elisha (his student) are walking to Gilgal and Elijah suggest that he will go on to Bethel by himself. It is a trip of about 13 miles about 4 hours on foot by himself. Elisha is determined I'm going too. In Bethel they meet up with some prophets that tell Elijah he is making a really big trip today and Elijah then says he is off to Jericho another 4 hour trip. Once again, telling Elisha he will go on his own. Elisha once again saying no I'll go with you. Another group tells Elijah the same thing that he headed on a big trip today. Now Elijah tells Elisha I'm headed to Jordan about another hour away and you guessed it Elisha said me too.

Elijah then ask Elisha, "What I can do before I am gone?" Elisha's reply is "please let me inherit a double share of your spirit and become your successor." Don't you love it! A double share of your spirit ~ not riches, not anything else ~ a double of what you have with God!

Elijah replies, if you see me when I am taken from you, then you will get your request. Suddenly a chariot of fire appeared, drawn by horses of fire. Drove between the two men, separating them, and Elijah was carried by a whirlwind into heaven. Can you imagine? Elisha saw it and cried out, "My father! My father!" I see! Elisha was the man now ~ he parted the Jordan using Elijah's cloak. After all, he now has double what Elijah had, why because he requested it, believing it!

I have to mention one more story from the reading today that I had to smile about from 2 Kings 2:23 - 25...the story of the balding man. A group of kids made fun of Elisha saying Go away, baldy and chanted it at him. He cursed them in the name of the Lord and out came two bears that mauled them all ~ 42 of them. I think it truly upset Elisha and maybe he was having a bad day. A few facts about this story. It was undesirable to be bald according to Isaiah 3:17,24. also, I read that little children did not necessarily mean little children. The word used in these scriptures is "naw-oor' which is used over 200 times in the Old Testament and it usually translated to a young man. So the commentary thinks they were probably teenagers that were taunting Elisha. So, a word to the wise don't taunt anybody!

In closing remember to watch your words with people, but when talking with God request a double portion of Him today!

Asking,

1 comment:

Frankie said...

So many miracles in those passages today. I am writing this while on vacation at the beach with my family. As I walked along the shoreline of the Gulf of Mexico,the words to a song came into my mind. The words are probably from scripture, because it seems to me as though these words were some that God said to Job. I heard in my mind, "Who told the ocean that it could only come this far?" What a miracle! Who else but God could set the boundaries of the ocean?

Praying that we see His miracles all around us today.