Monday, June 29, 2009

Redefining



Do you ever find yourself trying to redefine the rules of something? We know the rule, but if I just tweak it a little bit this way it will be so much better. If I just do this one little thing this way, it will improve things not hinder them?

Well, in the reading today from Isaiah 13. I found that the whole chapter was reminding us that the world doesn't have the right to redefine God's standards. Oh we try alright..remember telling your parents well Sissy over there is allowed to do it or so and so over there did it so it's okay for me.

It was so powerful to read verse 18 ~ What sorrow for those who drag their sins behind them with ropes made of lies, who drag wickedness behind them like a cart!
OUCH! Do we do that? Think on it a bit..what an image it makes in our hearts. We tag this lie on to this lie and another lie on to that lie making a long rope tied around our necks choking us to death and we drag them right along with us and even place them in a cart to make it a little easier to drag along plus we might take a few more along since they are in a cart!

Just because the world tells us things are okay, doesn't mean they are okay! God's grace is truly amazing. The image that just came to my mind is why don't we drag along the peace, the love, the amazing grace, the joy, the comfort, the things that God provides for us and let those overflow from our carts rather than the image of the lies..the old good vs. evil?

I would like to challenge you this week to something new, if you don't already do this ~ find a spot, a quiet spot to spend at least 15 minutes with God alone. I want you to turn on your praise music and listen for what God wants to share with you. I want you to spend the time just talking to Him like you would one of your friends. Take this time in a quiet area of your home just you and God and see what He might be sharing with you. I would love to hear from you about giving this a whirl and what might happen from these experiences. God wants to hear from you and remember it tells us the Psalms to "Be still and know that I am God" ~ So be still and know!!

Being still,

1 comment:

Frankie said...

Thanks for all of the good ideas, Debbie. I agree with you on how society has changed God's standards.

Over and over in the Scriptures God speaks against the disobedience of His people. We are His people.

As I have been reading the Chronological Bible this year, it gives me the discipline I need to meet with God in His Word daily. I feel as though I have an appointment to keep each morning. And I look forward to it.